Hip, innovative, and affordable, Lisbon is a hub for cosmopolitan, design-minded makers and shakers, who are breathing new life into the Portugal’s food, nightlife, and arts scenes. Fodor’s brand-new guidebook, Inside Lisbon, touches on top tourist sights, including Tram 28, St. George’s Castle, and Jerónimos Monastery, but also delves deep into the best under-the-radar places that only insiders from Lisbon know about.
The Fodor’s Inside series is designed for travelers looking for authentic, hyperlocal experiences. Perfectly sized to fit in your bag or pocket, these guides are designed with an artistic bent and are easy to use, look good, and don’t make you feel like a tourist.
Written by Lisboans―and with customized neighborhood maps and one-of-a-kind, hand-drawn illustrations by local illustrator Pedro Brito―Inside Lisbon covers the restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and boutiques in the neighborhoods that locals love best.
Fodor’s Inside Lisbon includes:
• OFF-THE-BEATEN-PATH COVERAGE to help you explore locally loved, up-and-coming neighborhoods that other guidebooks don’t cover well or at all.
• BEST BET LISTS with our favorites in a variety of categories including: best local foods, best kid-friendly attractions, and most romantic restaurants.
• INSTAGRAM-WORTHY PHOTO SPOTS that tell you how and where to get remarkable shots that you’ll definitely want to share.
• AT A GLANCE FEATURES on local events, history, locally-made goods, books and movies set in Lisbon, and more.
• MAPS that are easy to read, plus a free pull-out map.
• ITINERARIES that will help you plan your trip.
• COOL PLACES TO STAY highlighting the most unique lodgings in the city.
• BEST CITY TOURS from the coolest companies, including gallery walks, culinary tours, and wine tastings.
• QUICK SIDE TRIPS to the best places in Estoril, Cascais, Guincho.
• GETTING AROUND features in every neighborhood to make navigation via public transit or car easy.
• HAND DRAWN ILLUSTRATIONS by local artist Pedro Brito.
• INTERESTING STREET AND PUBLIC ART that is worth discovering.
• BACK IN THE DAY SPOTLIGHTS of famous spots to give the city historical context.
• COVERS the best neighborhoods in Lisbon, including Baixa, Chiado and Bairro Alto, Avenida da Liberdade, Principe Real and Restauradores, Alfama , Graça and São Vicente, Alcantara, Cais do Sodre, Santos, Intendente, Martim Moniz, Mouraria, Belem, and more.
ABOUT FODOR’S AUTHORS: Each Fodor’s Travel Guide is researched and written by local experts. Fodor’s has been offering expert advice for all tastes and budgets for over 80 years.
Planning on visiting more of Portugal? Check out Fodor’s Essential Portugal.